The Strangest Laws By State
- You may not impersonate a member of the clergy, with penalty of jail time and/or fine.
- No Silly String! In Alabama, you may not “keep, store, use, manufacture, sell, offer for sale, give away or handle any ‘spray string,’ ‘snap pops,’ or other matter or substances similar thereto.”
- If a hunter kills a moose, he is legally required to salvage the head, heart, liver, kidneys, stomach and hide “for human use.”
- Highway camping is allowed. You may pull over and camp for the night on an Alaskan highway as long as it is not in city or town limits.
- You’ll need a permit to feed garbage to a pig.
- It is illegal to spit on a highway, sidewalk or in a public building.
- While not technically illegal to mispronounce the state name while in the state, Arkansas passed legislation “discouraging” incorrect pronunciation of its name.
- As of March 2017, Section 18-55 of Little Rock’s Code of Ordinances states, “No person shall sound the horn on a vehicle at any place where cold drinks or sandwiches are served after 9pm.” No honking near sandwiches after 9pm.
- You may not eat a frog who won a “frog jumping” competition.
- It is illegal for women to drive a car while wearing a housecoat.
- You may not use indoor furniture outdoors.
- In Boulder, CO, you are not allowed to move, roll, or throw any boulders. They must remain where they are.
- No silly string may be used except in the privacy of your own home.
- Until 2002, it was illegal to store town records in locations where liquor was sold.
- Pawnbrokers may not purchase artificial limbs or wheelchairs.
- In Fenwick Island, it is illegal to tailgate or otherwise picnic around your car between the hours of midnight and 6am.
- Dog owners are not liable if their dog attacks someone on their property if they have a “Beware of Dog” sign.
- Florida’s law designed to ban internet cafes involved in illegal gambling was poorly worded and actually banned all internet usage.
- It is illegal to stay on a boat in Georgia for more than 30 days.
- In 1961, Gainesville GA passed a proclamation that it is illegal to eat fried chicken with a fork.
- Billboards are illegal in Hawaii.
- It used to be illegal to have more than one alcoholic beverage in front of you, but it is still illegal to drink alcohol on the beach.
- It is illegal to live in a dog house, unless you’re a dog.
- Cannibalism is illegal.
- It is illegal to fall asleep in a cheese shop.
- It is illegal to dye baby chicks.
- It is illegal to catch a fish using a gun or your hands.
- Hotel sheets must be exactly 99 inches long and 81 inches wide.
- It is illegal to sell automobiles or RVs on Sundays.
- No fake butter in Iowa. Imitation butter cannot be described with the words “butter,” “creamery,” or “dairy,” nor can it be marketed with images of dairy cows. It must be marketed as “oleomargarine.”
- No swimming in public fountains allowed.
- Rabbits may not be shot from motorboats.
- It is illegal to sell a blue-dyed baby chick unless you are selling them in a group of six or more.
- It is illegal to fish with a bow and arrow.
- Bear wrestling is illegal in Louisiana.
- It is illegal to steal crawfish and stealing an alligator could have you serving a 10-year sentence.
- You could be charged a fine for having Christmas decorations still up after January 14th.
- Strolling down the street while playing a violin is against the law.
- It is prohibited to use profanity on a sidewalk, highway, or street within the hearing distance of any passersby.
- It is illegal to take a lion to a movie.
- Snoring is prohibited unless bedroom windows are securely closed and locked.
- The use of tomatoes in clam chowder is prohibited.
- It is illegal to be tipsy on a train.
- Putt-putt golf courses must close by 1 am.
- Until 2015, senior centers and skilled nursing facilities were prohibited by law to play Bingo more than two days a week.
- It is illegal to stand around any building without a good reason to be there.
- It is illegal to teach others what polygamy is.
- It is illegal to have more than one illegitimate child with jail time of at least one month.
- You may not have more than two garage sales in the same area in a one-year period.
- Clotheslines are banned, but clothes may be draped over a fence.
- In Billings, Montana, musicians who play in clubs where alcohol is served may not leave the stage while performing.
- It is illegal to have a sheep in the cab of your truck without a chaperone.
- If a child burps during church, his parent may be arrested.
- It is illegal to purchase a cocktail that mixes liquor and beer.
- It is illegal to drive a camel on the highway.
- It is illegal to throw anything from a chairlift.
- No picnics in cemeteries.
- It is illegal to pick seaweed up off of the beach.
- It is illegal to wear a bullet-proof vest while committing a murder.
- It is illegal to pump your own gas in New Jersey.
- Idiots can’t vote in New Mexico.
- It is a petty misdemeanor to misuse the national or state anthems.
- It is illegal to take tiger selfies.
- A person may not walk around on Sundays with an ice cream cone in his/her pocket.
- It is a felony to steal more than $1000 of grease.
- It is illegal to hold a meeting or demonstration while wearing a mask, hood or other costume.
- You must first obtain a permit before exterminating a pigeon.
- Beer and pretzels can’t be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.
- It is illegal for more than five women to live in a house.
- In Ohio, those who commit relatively less-serious crimes can’t be arrested on a Sunday or on July 4th — unless the crime is committed on a river.
- Dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in groups of three or more on private property.
- It is a misdemeanor to loiter in a building with the intent of eavesdropping.
- Babies may not be carried on the running boards of a car.
- You are not permitted to throw your poop out of a moving car in Oregon.
- It it illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors.
- It is illegal to catch a fish with your mouth.
- It is considered an offense to throw pickle juice on a trolley.
- One must make a loud noise before passing a car on the left.
- Musical instruments may not be sold on Sunday.
- It is illegal for minors to play pinball in SC.
- It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep in a cheese factory.
- In Huron, South Dakota, it is illegal to cause static between 7 am and 11 pm.
- It is a crime to share your Netflix password in Tennessee.
- You may not hold any public office if you have participated in a duel.
- You may not sell your eye in Texas.
- It is illegal to milk another person’s cow.
- It is against the law to fish from horseback.
- It is illegal to sell alcohol during an emergency.
- Women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.
- Landlords may not prohibit the use of clotheslines because they are considered a source of solar energy.
- It is against the law to tickle women.
- Citizens must honk their horn while passing other cars.
- You cannot buy meat of any kind on Sunday.
- All lollipops are banned.
- It is illegal to snooze on a train.
- Whistling underwater is prohibited.
- Butter substitutes are not allowed to be served in state prisons.
- You can serve up to six months in jail for selling home-baked cookies.
- It is illegal to take a photo of a rabbit, from January – April, without an official permit.
- You can be fined up to $750 for failure to close a fence gate behind yourself.